When it comes to the best traditional and healing foods, bone broth nears the top of the list! Bone broth is versatile, fairly easy and low cost to make, and comes with a myriad of health benefits. So what makes bone broth so great?
- It supports hair, skin and nail health.
- It improves and heals the integrity of the gut lining.
- It's rich in vitamins, minerals and amino acids.
- It's easy to digest.
- It's a traditionally prepared, whole food!
Bone broth is a great gut healing food for many which makes it a great staple for healing and managing autoimmunity, hormone imbalance, and other chronic illness.
Though there are more and more pre-made bone broths popping up on the market and convenience can be key at times, we're still big fans of making broth at home. Not only is it the traditional way to have broth, but it's also cheaper!
So, how do you do it?
Chicken Bone Broth Recipe
- 1 pastured chicken carcass, meat removed
- 4-6 chicken feet, nails removed
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Veggies like parsnips, carrots, and onions
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp sage
- 1 tsp rosemary
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Enough filtered water to fill the crock pot
- Add the ingredients to a large crock pot and fill it with enough water just to barely cover the bones.
- Set the crockpot to low, and place on the lid.
- Cook the broth for 24 hours, skimming the top to remove any impurities periodically.
- Cool the broth and use either in soups, stews, rice, or just drink it!